Acorns From The Healing Tree

Welcome!

"I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content." ~ St. Paul

The burning bush (or tree)


This is my very first blog entry and I'm nervous. It's funny: while I hope someone will take the time to read this, I hope they won't. Whoever 'they' are! I know what my family would say, "c'mon Laurel it's not such a huge, earthshaking thing," then they would roll their eyes and sigh. So okay, whatever. Thing is, I want to be organized on the page - not have a bunch of bitchy rantings. I promised myself I wouldn't take this all too seriously.

So what do I want to talk about first: not ms! That is always like the elephant in the living room, which may explain why I dream of elephants a lot. It's not like I really love elephants or anything, though the babies are cute. I think I'll talk about the first quote I put on this page, and what it means to me. Maybe tomorrow I'll speak of the elephant-thing.

My first quote (look to the right, over the tree of life picture) begins with the line: I burn now. What to make of this? You've probably heard of the burning bush? No? It was this bush that Moses saw when he heard God speaking to him on Mt. Sinai. Pretty holy and magical. Well I've always thought that the burning bush represents, or is symbolic for, life. Our amazing brains look like bushes or trees, for heaven's sake, but not dead ones. They are living with the spark, or fire of life. That's you and me! And yet, as described in the biblical account, the bush burned, yet was not consumed! How odd. What can have a strong electrical charge or fire go through it, yet never actually burn? Living things. You and me. Our brains! Our hearts! Etc. etc. Neat huh?


But anyway, I found this quote from a current poet named Hugh
Pendexter III. It was the conclusion of a poem that I knew I should have written, or could have maybe written, if I could just get off my rear end. I want to give the poet credit.

Next I want to explain, that in spite of all this biblically-inspired
rhetoric: I am not some crazy religious freak. God forbid. I believe in a higher power and do think there is lots of wisdom in the bible (and alot of crap too) but I don't think its good to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Arguably it may not have been the best, most attractive, way to begin a blog. But hell. I say what I think. No! Unfortunately, I mostly like to write what I think. And it's so nice having a reader. Thanks, and I'll be back tomorrow maybe talking about stuff like the laundry or the dishes. I could get used to this! I like it - alot!

Go
out here and "burn"...

2 comments:

Athena Marie said...

Interesting thoughts! It makes me think also of Kundalini energy which is often depicted as fire. Our spinal cords being the trunk of the tree and our brains/mind opening and spreading it's branches into cosmic awareness.
Welcome to the blogosphere! It's addictive.

Laurel said...

Wow! Thanks Athena. I hadn't thought of that. How incredible!

Post a Comment